Sunday, April 14, 2013

Developing The Team


Team building has been something I have written about in the past; however, as I continue to strive forward developing my brand I know even more now that a strong team is a must.  Recently I was traveling on the road as CEO, producer, executive assistant, accountant and anything else required when I get a text message from an old classmate.  She was a few years behind me in school, but I remembered she worked with me on my senior project for my Bachelor of Science degree.  The message basically asked if we could meet up when I got back into town.  I said of course.  Currently I am finding I do more harm than good when I don't set alarms in my phone to notate appointments.  After returning from Los Angeles, I  set the meeting and we got together to chat for a bit.  Upon delving into our initial discussion she reveled she wanted to do an internship with my company.  We are the complete opposite as far as personality, but I think opposites compliment each other.

I was right.  She has been a great help to get things done and her dedication and focus have helped me to become more creative .  It becomes overwhelming when you are both the captain and the crew on your ship.  My first intern didn’t come in with any of the energy or dedication of this girl.  She was asked to do work and only did the bare minimum and not adding value to the team.  She was more of an extrovert with a million excuses.  This brings up one of the most popular conversations about, which individuals are the best to have when developing a team introverts or extroverts?  I am a combination of the two, because I have a huge personality and I love communicating face to face; however, when the day is done I like to retreat to my living quarters alone with just pure silence and I.  Some people find it strange that I can turn on and off so drastically, but I have never been any other way.  As the founder of this company I have found that when explaining both what we do and how we achieve results people want to do business because of the confidence and authority I process.  I have also found that each client communicates differently, so sometimes the introverted side of me is more dominant because that is what the situation requires.

My new intern production coordinator is all introvert.  She communicates very quietly and speaks more slowly than I do.  I seem to always be in a rush because of how I speak and I have become more mindful of it because people have told me over the years.  According to Forbes.com, “Some of the world most powerful influencers were introverts including Albert Einstein, Warren Buffett and even Rosa Parks.”  I guess it’s true what they say when they refer to "speaking softly and carrying a big stick," in the words of former president Theodore Roosevelt.  What type of personality are you?  Do you consider one personality type more effective than the other in your team building?

1 comment:

  1. This is a very interesting post which I can relate to very well. I work with a team that has varied types of personalities and sometimes we clash and other times we work very well together. I consider myself more of an introvert but I can be an extrovert when needed to be. In the team I work with I can see that the extroverts are the ones that spearheads the ideas but it is the introverts that gets the ideas into reality.

    ReplyDelete