Saturday, March 2, 2013

Industry Education vs Industry Experience in Business


I have changed many things from the experts I profiled and researched over the past few weeks.  Some people say that the best way to learn is by doing and I have learned that the statement is very true.  I have changed by business model and my original thinking about my company.  I have found that the easiest answer is never the answer for the long-term situations.  Below are some of my experiences that have shape my thinking.  They discuss some of the big changes I made to my plan.

Although propaganda floods various media outlets one thing holds true, the economy is in uncharted territory, so always give yourself enough space in your budget for unexpected expenses.  As a former active duty Marine I rejoined the civilian sector thinking I should first complete my formal education to support my professional experience. The transition process didn't prep me for the next step. I can't sat what the transition process is for every Marine, but I can say that my immediate chain of command made no effort to ensure my continued success.  It wasn't a completely horrible experience I had to amazing Sergeant Majors that ensured I got the help I needed to succeed on my way out.  Even with their help I realized this was a teaching moment. Have you ever given everything to something only to be met with insult and injury?  Story of my life!

Eleanor Roosevelt said, "I am who I am today, because of the choices I made yesterday."  I started school full time shortly after leaving active duty only to find there wasn't much learning going on the institution.  I quickly found that school was the fastest way to go for broke. Some times you just have to “go for it” as Jayson Whitmore outlines or “Go it Alone,” like Bruce Judson.  I was blessed to be allowed to use the GI Bill enacted to allow veterans to take full advantage of their educational benefits. This is a great program that helped me get through the program with minimal debt; however my peers and even instructors weren't so lucky. While completing school I choose to work full time in an animation studio. During my time at the studio I traveled around the country, represented the company to million dollar clients and international advertising agencies, produced campaigns for international products, and negotiated international contracts.

I learned more from my hands on career than ever in a classroom, but after I finished my Bachelor's degree I choose to continue to my Masters program.  While in this program I decided to take the Movis Media Brand to a new level. We have signed new clients enabling us to operate in the now instead of what could be.  This exciting journey has pushed me to clear the thoughts that a formal education alone has a fighting chance in this economy without many other factors.  Never once has a client asked about my educational background, which I find ironic since that's what is mandatory right?  They focus solely on our results and professional, which can be credited to a proper upbringing. 

What makes an entrepreneur competitive in today's market?  Napoleon Hill wrote a book called "Think and Grow Rich."  This masterfully written text was beyond its time.  Mr. Hill talked about how Andrew Carnegie commissioned him to write this book and capture the inside stories of great entrepreneurs from all back grounds even humble uneducated beginnings including Thomas Edison and Ford.  Someone once asked Thomas edition why he continued to attempt inventing the light bulb after more than 10,000 failed attempts. Mr. Edison said after so many failures success became the only option.

The most important areas I believe investors will focus on when reading my business plan are the financial areas.  Although I know we have a strong concept with Movis Media Group, investors focus on the bottom line information.  What would be their return on investment?  Another key area is the marketing information and how we secure business.  Les Brown was quoted saying, "Shoot for the moon and even if you miss you will land among the stars."  You're more than what you have become go for it!  What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment